ABOUT YOUR EGD
Your doctor has ordered a Gastroscopy which is an examination of the esophagus, stomach and duodenum.
This procedure is done on an out-patient basis in the G.I. lab by the doctor. It generally takes about 15 to 30 minutes. A flexible fiberoptic gastroscope is passed through the mouth down into the small intestine enabling the doctor to visualize the gastro-intestinal lining. The design of the gastro scope allows the doctor to take small tissue samples (biopsies), to photograph any abnormal findings, or to remove polyps, growths, or foreign bodies from the esophagus or stomach. All of these maneuvers are painless.
It will be necessary to sign a consent form for the examination. If you have any questions about the consent form or the procedure, ask your doctor or nurse.
BECAUSE YOU WILL BE SEDATED, YOU MUST HAVE SOMEONE AVAILABLE TO TAKE YOU HOME. YOU MAY NOT TAKE A TAXI HOME UNLESS YOU HAVE SOMEONE (other than taxi driver) TO BE YOUR RESPONSIBLE ADULT. This driver MUST be with you at check in so we may verify you have a responsible adult bringing you home. We will be unable to go forward with your procedure if your driver is not with you at time of check in.
- NO SOLID FOOD AFTER MIDNIGHT
- Patients may have clear liquids up until 4 hours prior to your procedure start time.
- Clear liquids mean anything that is clear in consistency: color is not as important as consistency.Drink juices such as apple, white grape or white cranberry. Avoid thick and pulpy juices. Bouillon or clear broth is fine. You can have gelatin without fruit. Avoid anything with red or orange artificial coloring.
- Soda, coffee and tea are fine. DO NOT drink milk, dairy products.
IF YOU ARE TAKING BLOOD THINNERS SUCH AS COUMADIN OR THE EQUIVALENT, OR DIABETIC MEDICATIONS, PLEASE INFORM THE DOCTOR, AS YOU WILL NEED SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS.
If you are taking medicine for high blood pressure, asthma, or heart disease you will want to take these as usual with a sip of water. All medications must be taken 2 hours prior to your procedure.
All other medications must be reviewed with the doctor.
- Should you consume more than just a sip of water with your medications the day of your procedure there will be a possibility of your procedure being cancelled.
- Please do not wear any facial make-up, moisturizers, body lotions or oils the day of your procedure.
Please call the office (630) 527-6450 if you have any questions regarding the instructions.
Your procedure time is not a guarantee.
PLEASE ARRIVE 30 MINUTES PRIOR TO YOUR PROCEDURE START TIME. IF YOU ARRIVE EARLIER THAN 30 MINUTES PRIOR, YOU MAY BE WAITING LONGER.